Sunday, October 4, 2009

Blame it on the ADD

Just about everyday I have at least 2 friends on Facebook updating their status about their "Run" a little part of me wishes I was a runner, I wish I had that hobby, I'd love to go out for an hour and tool around the neigborhood, get into shape. When I was younger my dad would run 5 miles a day. He would go out to the middle of no where on a deserted stretch of road next to Lockheeds Plant 42, it was exactly 2 1/2 miles down and 2 1/2 miles back and he would run it everyday. I went with him a few times and road my bike along side. I never understood his happiness, he would get back to the last 1/4 mile just huffing and puffing covered in sweat but he was happy.
So I tried it and let me tell you I hate it. Like HATE with a capital H. It's not fun, my knee hurts, my lungs burn, and by the time I get 2 doors down I'm bored. Where is the happiness? So I tried the treadmill, I thought... Warmer air, cushioned floor, TV....BORING!
I even tried the stationary bike, I get so bored about 15 minutes into it I just want to quit. When we lived in Utah I went to the gym every morning and did just fine, now I can't get passed my boredom.
I have 20 lbs to lose and can't find anything I can stand doing.
What do you do to stay motivated? Do you get bored on the treadmill or bike?

4 comments:

Jeneney said...

Jana was the same way, but then she did a program called 'couch to 5k' and it totally got her moving. I'll ask her for the info.

Have you tried the new Wii EA Sport Active? I here it's really fun. Maybe we should both get it and compete against each other???

Tricia Bagley said...

I'm currently do the "couch to 5k" and while it's not as exciting as riding a roller coaster, I still like it. You can download them from iTunes. It's a 9 week interval training course where you listen to each week 3 times (you only have to run 3 days a week!). There's music and the guy talks you through everything. My husband and I are only on week two but it's making me WANT to run, who'd ever thought? The guy who does it Robert Ullrey. Good luck!

Jillian said...

Every 6 months or so I, too, try to tell myself that I am going to be a runner. And every 6 months or so, I realize that I hate everything about running (working out at all for that matter)

I have a very severe case of Gym ADD....and have tried the whole couch to 5K thing, but really, working out sucks @$$ and everyone who tries to tell you otherwise is denying their inner fatty. I choose to embrace my inner fatty.

Kelli said...

I'm with you. I also wish I enjoyed running. I even tried it as ateenager joined the cross country team. Hated every minute of it.I would love to know why some people love it and I don't. I think I will embrace my inner fatty. Though it is starting to show on the outside.