Monday, September 15, 2008

Fashion Faux Pas

Living in Utah for the last few years you notice a few things about fashion....Mormons have their own versions of all the hottest trends, capsleeve t-shirts under spaghetti strapped dresses, a lot of cardigans, most ladies wear "Utah Shorts" to all of you non-Utahans that's what you refer to as capris, if you push the limit by wearing anything nearing above your knee cap, you get the look as though to say "You better repent, sister!". Men always look like they have double layered everything with an "undershirt" even under their T-Shirt! Men's shorts are usually basketball shorts, cargo shorts, pants....anything WAY below your knee. If you see a mans knee cap it's almost a sin. We won't even broach the subject of black socks and Tevas (UGH!) Being Mormon you get used to "Mormon Fashion". Even though I grew up in California, I forgot what other people dressed like, after seeing Utahans everyday. Moving to Nebraska I have seen some of the worst fashion ever (now I'm not even pretending to be the epitome of fashion, I think some days I should be on What Not To Wear, and I hope none of my friends think I'm so bad to actually nominate me for it. I do know what seems a bit odd or highly inappropriate) Did you know that denim overalls are still in out here? Wrangler jeans and cowboy shirts are all the rage at church. Mens shorts, heaven help them....I can't even count on both hands how many of my neighbors wear shorts that are WAY above their knee, and I'm not just talking athletic type shorts, I mean Dockers type golf shorts....brings new meaning to HIGH AND TIGHT! Our neighbor across the street even wears tiny spilt side running shorts to mow his lawn (burn my retinas!) The perm is still in fashion..."Wife beater" undershirts are a staple in most people's closets. If I ever start wearing polo shirts with khaki pants belted up to my armpits....INTERVENTION!

4 comments:

Jana said...

You are so far from ending up on "What Not to Wear". But wouldn't you love to go on just for the credit card with 5K? I would do in a heartbeat.

Shari said...

Wow-your neighbor sounds kind of sexy-lol

Julie said...

Haha. I can totally relate to you when you described the "Mormon" fashion as well as the Utah fashion. On a regular basis, I need to call my sister and be like "remember to always tell me if I start sounding/talking as if I am from Utah... and what is the latest trend down there?" But man, your new place is far from helpless! At least you can get some great laughs out of it!

emwhitte said...

Those fashions you described made me think of the kids on Napolean Dynamite! Maybe it's a mid-west thing.