So as soon as we closed on the house we immediately started making arrangements for updates to be made. During our preclose walk thru Erick had a bunch of estimators come thru for various things. One of which was RC Willey for flooring. I knew right away that there was no way I would be happy just getting the carpets cleaned especially since we had plans to change the color scheme in the house (the carpets were green!) So we decided to replace all the carpet in the 3 rooms and also have laminate to match the downstairs put in the loft and also the master. I thought with our allergies since those spaces would be the most lived in it would be easier to keep dust free.
So as you can kind of see from the pictures we have dark wood laminate downstairs in the great room and also in the dining room. (we planned to leave the tile and to just have it deep cleaned since it was in really good shape) From the picture it looks more like an oak color, but to see it in person there is no mistaking that it is a dark brown (not black just really dark brown). So we go into RC Willey with the dark brown in mind and we pick out a few samples that we feel are a similar color, keeping in mind it would be upstairs we knew it didn't have to be an exact match, just close and dark brown. We picked out some carpet and decided on a wood and had it ordered. We knew that we ordered way ahead of time and told the girl that we couldn't have it installed until middle of June and that we would call once we were ready to have it scheduled. Once we had the date we could get our keys, we had arranged for painters to come in that day, they would take 4 days then we knew we could install laminate Monday/Tuesday and Carpet Wednesday. Then Jose would be back on Thursday to replace all the baseboard and the other work we wanted to be done and promised he would be done or close to being done so we could move in that weekend. We knew we were scheduled tight, but with the sellers not moving out until the middle of June, there was no way i was going to pay for another month in the rental!! So we had to get it done and Jose promised on his side he would be done.
So RC Willey calls the Saturday before install and wants to drop off the wood, I said fine i would run over there real quick and open the house for them. I let them in the house and they start bringing in this wood that is ORANGE! Like really weirdly Orange. They had just about gotten all the cartons in when I said, WHOA WHOA WHOA! this isn't the right stuff! and the guy says, this is what you ordered. to which is said, um no it isn't. After some back and forth I said, listen Claudio, look at this floor right here, it's dark brown, we went into RC Willey knowing this was dark brown and picked out dark brown. Knowing this color why would we pick ORANGE?? He got his boss on the phone and said we needed to go talk to the sales lady.
I'll spare you the 3 days of yelling, cursing, crying and screaming. What it came down to is they wouldn't admit to making a mistake or that it was possibly their fault, nor would they help us at all. They said the best they could do was reorder and we wouldn't be able to get it installed until Wed/Thu/Fri, next problem was they didn't have the wood we had originally ordered so we had to find another wood, hope they had it in stock and also pay $1 more per linear foot. I was already irate because this screw up set us back 3 days and we wouldn't be able to move in that weekend.
After more cursing, screaming, crying and yelling I picked out the wood below. I'll admit now that i wish we had just picked out this wood originally because it is BEAUTIFUL! I love it, its higher quality and has the hand scraped look. Although I love it now, it also didn't come with it's share of problems. They had enough in stock in the warehouse in SLC that they could get it down by Wednesday and then install Thursday. angrily i agreed. Thursday rolls around, I get the over to let the installers in, ensure it's the right wood and run back to work. an hour or so later I get a call from the warehouse in Henderson. "Hi Megan, this is Bill, i hate to do this to you but we have a problem with your wood." To which i just start laughing uncontrollably and immediately turn to sobs.. "you're joking right" No, the wood they sent had been screwed up at the mill and had 2 different finishes on it. One a high gloss and one a satin, so if you installed it without any direct light on it you wouldn't really be able to tell, but when you open the blinds there was a very distinct difference! He emailed me pictures real quick and I just lost it. I had 3 choices: #1 - go down to RC Willey and pick out something new #2 - have what we had ordered installed, file an insurance claim for the wrong wood, wait for the new stuff to get in, have the floor pulled up and reinstalled. #3 - they could order new wood to come down by Friday, and hand pick out all the right pieces from the boxes and install those and send the bad ones back. With that option there was a chance that we wouldn't catch a few bad pieces and they would be in the mix (which did happen and if you ever come to my house i won't tell you where they are because once you know they stick out like a sore thumb and i see them EVERY TIME i walk past them.) Obviously we went with option #3, they put in as much as they could on Friday, which made it about 3/4 of the way and then came back on Saturday morning and did the rest. Bless those installers hearts they worked really hard and I know it wasn't there fault. That Saturday morning there was a hive of crazy in our house, Claudio was there at 7AM installing flooring the painters were going behind him installing, painting and caulking baseboards as quick as they could. They worked until the middle of the afternoon and we were moving things in around them. Obviously we couldn't get everything in, but luckily after all that mayhem we were able to get moved when we needed to.
Needless to say I will NEVER be going back to RC Willey for anything
2 comments:
I hate Rc Willey too! We ordered our laminate floors through them over a month ago. The flooring was all in at the warehouse, but the pieces for the stairs were back-ordered. The sales guy said it would only take a days, well it's been over a month and we still don't have our flooring. They told us we cod go down to the warehouse and pick-up what was there, but why would we waste gas going out there more than once? I feel your pain.
Seriously.... How did I not know anything about this? That is horrible and super stressful. Glad you go in and I will never ask which wood is different!
Post a Comment