Tuesday, January 22, 2013

out with the old in with the new.

**I'm behind on a lot of posts, so watch out, post overload coming**
There is no one more happy than I to be able to say:
2012 was a really rough and trying year for the Sayer family.
We were no longer students; as nice as that is to say, it's a very vulnerable feeling. For years and years we had a title "Student" well Erick was a student and by default I guess I fell into that category. But for the first time in our WHOLE married life we didn't really have a category. We weren't student, we weren't yet employed (well i was, but that doesn't really count and technically I was in limbo on Maternity leave) we were somewhat nomads. 
Within a span of 4 days we were shoved into a new category of Employed Las Vegans with no home. We quickly move, I went back to work, Erick started work and in less than a month we were shoved back into tragedy stricken nomads again. Erick was scheduled for major surgery, on unpaid leave from work and we were living out of suitcases. I know that this was a rough time for Erick, but since this is Megan writing you hear my side. May Thru October was physically and emotionally draining, it was a dark place for me. It took me a long time to snap out of it. It was hard to balance doing most everything alone. 
We finally climbed out of that dark place and we are on the upswing.The bar has been passed, we are getting pay checks again, health issues are somewhat on the back burner for now and we can finally figure out this new category we are in as "adults". I'm not gonna lie, it's been hard to navigate in the few months we've been here, it's been a learning experience and now we start the journey on new an exciting things. 
So we are happy to say:


This really should and will be the best year yet. We have big goals, lofty goals, goals we are really trying to achieve. So I am holding us accountable and putting them in this post so we can look back in 3, 6, 9 and 12 months and see how we are doing. 
As a family:

  • We have a certain amount we want to save by June. Now that we are out of student mode it's time to start focusing on debts, house and savings.
  • Our goal is to start seriously looking for a house by August. Hopefully the market is still good by then. 
  • Erick and I want to have more date nights. Since the munchkin has come along, alone time and being able to find a babysitter has been tough. So now that she's older and hopefully we can find a good babysitter and get out at least once a month. 
  • There is no actual goal for this one, just to start thinking/talking/planning on a possibility of expanding our family (NO, there is no announcement there!)
As for me personally i just have a few:
  • I want my clothes to fit better :) I don't want to give myself a goal that i will fail at, i just want the clothes i have to fit better. Ever since Avery was born it is has been so hard to find time to exercise and take care of myself, so now it's a year later and i'm heavier than i was before Avery and i'm done with it. So my plan is to have a smaller me, whatever that ends up being.
  • I need to be a better friend. I have very few really close friendships and unfortunately with the last year I have neglected them in my time of darkness. So this year my goal is to be a better friend and remind my friends how much i love them. When I say something like "you know who you are" I want to make sure that they actually do, because sadly i'm afraid they don't right now.
  • and with all of that, I need to find balance in my life. I have fallen back alot on the excuse of the madness of last year. I felt like i spent the entire year just bandaiding the cracks in the dam and never making any headway. I neglected me! I wasn't able to successfully balance family, work, friends, baby, house work, exercising and ME. I just took care of whoever screamed the loudest. This year my goal is to get back on schedule, to do my best to find a balance, and if that means I have to cut out some things, then that's what I'll do, but it has to be done. 
So there you have it...2013 is the year for the Sayers! We will conquer it and we will find balance!


1 comment:

Courtney said...

I am crying. Why am I such a cry baby? I miss you and can't wait to see you in April!