Thursday, January 8, 2009

New Years Resolution #1-B

Suze Orman was on Oprah today...our goal this year is to get out of debt and be more in control of our expenses. I know how much money we have coming and going, I know how much we have in debt, I know how much we have in savings and I know how much we squander and that's where I need to be better....we squander money when we have that...dun dun dun....Debt! This year, it's going away (hopefully...or I'm at least getting in control) So, New Years Resolution #1-B Suze Orman's 5-Steps to Financial Freedom


Step 1: Pay off your credit card debt

    • Line up your credit cards from the highest interest rate to the
      lowest
    • Pay the minimum on every single card to stay curent
    • When the card with the highest interest rate is paid off, put the amount
      you had been paying on it toward the next card in line. Keep repeating until
      this process until each credit card has been paid off


Step 2: Raise your FICO score



    • If possible, pay more than the minimum every month on your credit
      cards
    • Pay your bills on time
    • Never go over your credit limit

Step 3: Create a spending action plan



    • Sit down with your expenses and separate wants and needs
    • Circle all expenses that are wants
    • If you have debt or no savings, eliminate the wants

Step 4: Create a Savings Action Plan



    • Save enough to cover eight months of expenses
    • Decide how much you can save each month, then save an additional 20
      percent
    • Search for the savings account with the highest interest rate

Step 5: Create a Retirement Action Plan



    • Don't panic when the market goes down
    • Keep investing monthly in your 401K or IRA
    • If you need the money within 5 years, take it out of the stock market


Suze's Plan Pledge:



    • For 1 Day spend no money
    • For 1 Week don't use a credit card
    • For 1 Month don't eat out


You can download Suze's new book Suze Ormans 2009 Money Action Plan....Link below, it's free for a week.

http://www.oprah.com/article/money/personalfinance/pkgyourmoney/20081119_tows_bookdownload

No comments: