Sunday, November 9, 2008

Small Soap Box

As I sat here today trying to compose the words for my post I literally just sat and cried in front of my keyboard. My heart is so full with emotion looking at this picture of the officers standing watch in front of our beautiful temple in Los Angeles. To think that we have come to a time yet again that our faith, religion and Temple is being threatened because of what we believe. I think of those faithful pioneers who stood up for what they believed and watched as their temple was destroyed. There aren't yet, mobs of men burning our temple, running us out of town or torturing our prophet, but in comparison we are close. In these pictures they are defacing the temple gates, climbing over the walls, posting signs for Mormons to go back to Utah, and demanding to speak to Thomas Monson and present him with their grievances against the church. I've read in many places that people have been prevented from getting to their meeting houses because of protesters and the temple driveway has been closed to 1 gate with a guard checking your reasoning for being there, that is if you even make it to the gate.
My sister and I were talking the other day as all of this was happening and we both agree, they have every right to be mad, if I felt I was being discriminated against I would be upset too. Be upset, be mad! But don't be violent, don't threaten my well being or my families well being.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints itself did not wage a campaign against you. Yes, there were a majority of members were proactive in the support of passing Prop 8, but there were alot of other religions that support Prop 8 also. It just so happens that there seems to be a large target on the Church because of it's large presence.
I don't like to get into political debates with anyone about what they believe or what they support, it is my choice that I agree with the verbiage that Prop 8 is trying to protect, but I have many Gay and Lesbian friends and acquaintances that I think should have rights also.
My heart hurts for the fear of what our lives and world have come to. Our lesson in Relief Society on Sunday was about the signs of the times....many times you hear of them and you think that most are physical signs; moon turns to blood, sun will be black as night, etc...but don't you think this was the ultimate sign of the times, in 2008 we are being protested in droves, we are unable to worship in some areas. My fear is this...the First Presidency had stated that if the Proposition did not pass it would be "very bad" can you imagine if this came from a "yes" vote, what would "NO" have brought?
I consider myself blessed that I still live in a country where I'm allowed to worship the way I choose, that I believe in a God that loves us and we have a Prophet on the earth that leads and guides us. I also consider myself somewhat blessed that I live in Nebraska where this isn't happening, I don't know that my spirit is strong enough to trudge through and be strong. I pray that I will some day be strong enough to endure that persecution.





















3 comments:

Karen said...

It is very scary. There were even protesters in SLC...the signs are definitely here..what next?

Jana said...

I'm so sick over this...literally just sick to my stomach. That picture of that guy scribbling on the temple...ugghh. I appreciate your post.

Suzy said...

I'm so glad you made this post. It's so nice to hear other opinions on the matter. I think I am confused on how to feel. I feel sad, angry, scared. ugh. I don't know. Well, it was nice to hear from you. Thank you so much for your comment. Tanner misses you guys too!