**I had to laugh a little at this sign before I started my post**
So today was my first experience with the Tornado Warning Sirens. "Seek cover", "Go to lower ground", "Find shelter", any of the aforementioned would be the ideal action when you hear these warnings. What do I do?? Sat frozen in my chair, eyes bugging out of my head, and hyperventilating. (Now in full disclosure, I later talked to Erick and he said it was the monthly test of the Siren, BUT it was the first time in the 4 months we've lived here that I have heard it, AND it happened again this afternoon)
Have any of you ever heard one of these sirens? It sounds exactly like an Atomic Bomb Warning Siren from the movies....So now I have to be scared, Tornado or Atomic Bomb?
So as I sat frozen in my chair, telepathically begging the dog to tug my chair into the basement (she was perched up on the window sill staring out the window, back at me, out the window and back at me like "What the *** is happening? ") I thought, this probably isn't the best if a tornado is actually headed my way. Then my mind raced; should I move all our food, beds, clothes, my beloved Cricut and scrapbook supplies to the basement now in anticipation for a disaster, should I start hording water, toilet paper, butterfinger, diet coke and MRE's? Then I thought....since our poor little house looks like the only double-wide in the whole neighborhood, is there a bat signal like target taunting the tornado to come this way?
Even after finding out that the siren was just a test, I should have been calm and felt secure that the sirens are working and ready....Hey, "there hasn't been a tornado in Lincoln in 25 years" Calm and Secure....
Then the heavens opened up and the wrath of the Storm Gods came upon Lincoln..Thunder, Lightning, Very Very Frightening. Then if that wasn't scary enough....beep beep beep, Storm warning on the TV.....Beep Beep Beep....TORNADO LIKE WEATHER WARNING....Then if that wasn't bad enough.....TORNADO SIREN AGAIN!!! and what did I do? sat frozen on my bed while the dog, perched up on the window sill again looked to me like..."WHAT THE *** DO WE DO?"
What have I learned from this experience?
- I am not cut out to live in the Midwest
- I will be seeing a mean lady riding a bike stealing my dog, and the tin man, scarecrow and lion will be coming to check on me.
- I am going to have to teach Allee, when you hear the siren, grab my pant leg and drag me downstairs
- If you are reading this and in Lincoln during a Tornado warning, come check on me and you can enjoy my basement and horded supplies.

3 comments:
I heard that on the radio last night and Chad acted like it was no big deal.-He's acts all cool cause he's lived in the midwest and it is normal to hear things like that. Yep, never have I heard a tornado warning in my life. We are for sure running over to your house if a tornado hits!
I heard these on my mission in Kentucky. I was out driving during a bad storm/tornado warning. I guess I'm weird but I thought it was pretty cool.
I am pretty sure I would have done the same thing. Those things sound scary on T.V. I can't imagine what they wuld sound like in real life.
Post a Comment