Monday, April 5, 2010

Monkey Bread

I don't usually post recipes on my blog, but I think I'm going to start, just so I have a record of all the new and yummy things I've tried.
If you know me you know that I'm a stress baker and try a lot of new recipes. Some turn out GREAT, some I throw in the trash, either because they aren't as good as the picture looks or it's just too hard, baking shouldn't be hard, it should be challenging, fulfilling and most of all YUMMY....So over the next year I'll post some of the new recipes I try (with notes I find helpful after making the dish) and some of my old standbys.

This one I tried yesterday...as you can see I didn't get a picture before it was already dug into....
In the past the Monkey Bread recipes I've seen are the easy frozen dough or crescent tube kind. These are purely homemade and purely DELICIOUS!!!

Bread Balls:
1 pkg (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
1/2 c warm water
1 1/4 c warm 2% milk (I used skim milk and it worked just fine)
1/3 c butter, melted
1/4 c sugar
2 eggs
1 t salt
5 cups all-purpose flour

Carmel:
2/3 c packed brown sugar
1/4 c butter, cubed
1/4 c heavy whipping cream

Assembly:
3/4 c chopped pecans
1 c sugar
1t cinnamon
1/2 c butter, melted (I used margarine)

**Side note: I started out trying to use my Kitchenaid with dough hook...There isn't enough ingredients to really get it all kneaded. I suggest using a hand mixer with dough hooks or stir by hand**
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, butter, sugar, eggs, salt and 3 cups of flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease the top.

(If you are making dough ahead of time, stop after this step place in greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and put in fridge over night. When ready let dough sit for 30 minutes then continue to next step)

Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

For Caramel, in a small saucepan, bring the brown sugar, butter and cream to a boil. Cook and stir for 3 minutes. Pour 1/2 into greased 10-in/ fluted tube pan; sprinkle with half of the pecans.

Punch dough down; shape into 40 balls. In a shallow bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Place melted butter in another bowl. Dip balls in butter, then roll in sugar mixture.

Place 20 balls in the tube pan. top with remaining caramel and pecans. Top with remaining 20 balls. Cover and let rise until doubled. About 45 minutes.

Bake at 350 for 30-25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Oh this looks so yummy! Seriously my mouth is watering just reading about it! I'm going to have to try this for sure! Keep posting more recipes! I'm always looking for new stuff to try!