Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What's your number? Everyone has one....

Why is it that we as a culture are so enamored with that number....That number that seems to define you as a person.....That number seems to be the label that puts you in a category. In our culture (That of the Mormon culture) you are placed into categories. The "haves" and the "have nots" and if your number is high or low in those categories people don't understand you.
Just because your number may be a little higher then others does that mean you may not have anything in common with someone that has a lower number? Why is it that it's the first thing you ask a person when sitting a group. On one such occasion I was sitting with a group of people and the obligatory number sharing started. I always cringe when the line starts getting to me....Do I play coy, do I just blurt it out, or do I decline to answer? The reactions are usually the same and then you see who cares and who doesn't...in this such instance the time came and I said....My number is.....and at the end of the table blurts "WOW!" but it wasn't like, WOW, I would have never guessed; it was like WOW, what are you doing here with us. Sure, I tried to move on, just like I always do, but it still jabs at your gut a little.
I've decided I'm no longer going to offer up my usual justifications of getting a late start in life or trying to be a little more responsible before we do things or my number got a little higher because I lived a little more life....Truth is....if you feel like "WOW" would be your reaction....we won't get a long anyway.
P.S - Birthday Celebrations/Observations have ceased.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tricia Bagley said...

I'm sorry Megan, I understand. Most people in my ward are my age and have 4-5 kids! I have just the one, but you know what? I wouldn't trade my life with anyone elses. I'm soooooooooo glad I'm not one of those girls who got married and 18, 19, or even 20. I'm proud of the single life I had DANG IT!!!! ;)

Ashley said...

um what comment got removed?! Amen sister! ok here is my soap box...I do have to say i got married at 21 but i lived THE life so im not sure it matters when you get married just matters that you are happy with your life, you and i have done more by 25 then most of them will do in a life time...so screw um dude...you have a awesome life, awesome hubby and 2 very cute babies!