Friday, January 2, 2009

Week in Review 12/20-26

So, the week of Christmas seemed to have just flown by without a blog post, so here's an all in one.

12/20/08:
Erick and I woke to find the weather and roads too bad for us to drive to California. It made me really sad, but we had other things to deal with...like the fact that I had prepped the house and fridge for being gone for 11 days which meant, no food, no supplies, no Christmas tree...So we got up and went to Super Target on the southside of town...we had a few close calls with the icy on the way, but got our self some food and a cheap fake tree. It made me feel better.


12/21/08:
Our friends the Mellors invited us over for dessert. We brought speed scrabble. Erick says I cheat, but I only won 1 round! We had Matt take our picture with our Christmas presents from the Sheas so we could send with our thank you card since they wouldn't be there to see us open them (sshhh, don't tell them we opened them a week before!) I love my IPHONE!!!


12/22/08:
We awoke to this....blizzardy storm. What a mess it was. It was so icy, I had to work, but you can see how Erick and Allee spent their day. 12/23/08:
The aftermath of the storm. The plows finally came and tried to dig us out late on Monday night, but it had been compacted and iced over on the driveway and streets. Even Erick's car slipped passed our driveway once when he was coming home from the store. Erick went out and spent the morning chipping away and what was left on the driveway.


12/24/08:
Erick's family has a tradition on Christmas Eve of having Fondue and poppers. We invited Matt Mellor over for dinner since his wife had to work :( The fried cheese was a hit. I made Erick and Matt dig out the good china from the basement. I told them that if we were going to be in Lincoln for Christmas at least we were eating on the GOOD STUFF. We had gone to the grocery store earlier in the day for some last minute supplies and all of their Christmas stuff was 75% off. We found these cute Reindeer antlers for Allee, you can see how much she LOVED them! Erick had taken me to urgent care a few hours before because I had hurt my shoulder, they gave me some meds that kicked in right in the middle of dinner. It made it interesting.



12/25/08:
Christmas morning was hard knowing I would awake to Lincoln, Nebraska and not my family. Erick and I had exchanged gifts back at Thanksgiving because we knew we would be gone from here during Christmas and it would be hard to get a moment away to have time for us. Well little did we know that we would be stuck here and had nothing under our Christmas tree. On Christmas Eve I told Erick he could have some money and I'll take some money and we'll go get a few little things to wrap and put under the tree for each other. We got up a little early and exchanged gifts. I had made arrangements with my mom to bring her computer to my sisters so I could watch on ichat my nephews open their presents. I was so sad that I couldn't be there "in person", but how grateful I was for the technology to be there "in iChat". We made scalloped potatoes, green beans and a pork loin for Christmas dinner (The pork loin was NOT good...no fault of our own, just NOT good) but I had my scalloped potatoes and my favorite spinach, strawberry and feta salad!



12/26/08:
Friday morning we woke up to 52 degrees and no snow. It was the strangest thing ever. You can't see it in the picture but there are huge puddles of water in the backyard. Erick and I decided to spend the day in Omaha looking for good deals. We went to the Gap and I found the best deal of the day. A $148 camel colored coat for $22.49!!!! I snapped it up and wouldn't let it go! It was awesome.


Even though we were stuck in Lincoln we had a pretty good christmas. We are going to have to figure out something else next year to get us to Utah or California!

No comments: