Monday, December 15, 2008

This is what -24 looks like.

So yesterday I had the biggest shock of my life. I walked out of the church doors and I knew it was going to be cold, I prepped myself for the cold, I was even ready to run to the car if needed...until I actually stepped outside. The blast of cold hit my face and went right thru my clothes, it's the kind of cold that takes your breath away and almost freezes you in your tracks. I was stunned...I couldn't imagine a cold like that. As soon as I regained consciousness I ran to the car, got in and started it up. I could see my breath in the car and my teeth started to chatter. I pulled out my phone to check the temperature, it said 6 degrees with wind chill/feels like -15! I about died right then and there. I have never been in NEGATIVE anything except my bank account!

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse this morning I woke to -4/feels like -24.

So, things I've learned in the last 2 days:


A: Don't leave the house without a jacket, hat, gloves and scarf. Those are "MUSTS"
B: Moisture on the inside of your windows freezes. (Allee's dog door is an insert in the sliding door, it doesn't have a moisture barrier, so anytime I use the dishwasher it fogs up....Erick, bless his heart, BBQ'd some steaks last night and going in and out of the door froze the moisture immediately)

C: It may look like it's 80 degrees outside the window but be prepared, IT'S NOT!
D: If you give the dog a bath and think she's dry, don't let her go outside. Allee ran out the door before I could catch her and the poor thing had icicles on her fur. He was only out there maybe 25 seconds before I got her back inside.
E: the most important.....the trash can wait to be taken out and the mail can wait to be gotten until your husband comes home and is already outside :)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

It is so freakin cold here! I've decided I officially hate Nebraska weather! Way too cold for me! Burr!