Thursday, September 4, 2008

Brown Thumb No more...

So it seems as though Nebraska agrees with my brown thumb...I tried so hard in Utah to grow even the most easy flowers to beautify our front yard and it never worked. I blamed it on the gardners because it seemed like everytime something started to sprout they pulled it out of the ground. Must have thought it was a weed. Our poor little house out here has no character, it looks like a rental, it smells like a rental it's all one color, even the mulch in the front was the same color as the lovely vinyl siding. I told Erick the first order of business was to change the mulch in the front, try to break up the color. Although you can't see it in the picture, take my word for it, it's alot better!

We dug up a little piece of dead grass and put in some seeds....They are starting to sprout! I already warned my gardner (Erick) that if he pulls the "weeds" he's in trouble.

To the left is a purple hibiscus. it's too late in the season for blooms, but the plant hasn't died yet. In the pot are my poppy sprouts. YAY!!


I know I probably won't get flowers now since it's getting colder, but I'm just happy I got a plant out of it!! Next spring hopefully our house will look less like the stand out "rental" of the neighborhood. We've already been told by a few of our neighbors that our lawn has looked better since we've moved in then it has in years.

2 comments:

Jana said...

I'm jealous that you have your own yard!

Shari said...

Good job. Coming from a fellow brown thumb even a little sprout is a BIG accomplishment!!