Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Post #25



I woke up this morning to the stark realization that this is no longer a vacation and we aren't going "home" to Utah any time soon. I don't know why it's been such a depression adjustment for me. The time zone is the worst in the world. I don't think I ever really got adjusted to Utah because my work hours just adjust back 1 hour and now moving farther away now I work 10:30-7:30, which pushes everything back. With Erick not in school yet, we're really not on a good schedule, so we don't start the day until 9:00 and then lunch comes sometime around 3:00, then I get off work and realize I still have to make dinner, or run errands or clean the house or whatever I would have normally done at a NORMAL hour, it ends up getting done at like 9, 10, 11, midnight...so I don't go to bed until 1.


Erick and I are trying to find a few places that we love to eat at, even though we will be poor college students out here, we have to have something to spoil us once in a while. I found my favorite place the first time we came out here. It's a Greek place called The Parthenon. I LOVE IT! They have the best stuffed chicken breast.


I've found that Nebraska has alot of things that you wouldn't find many other places. For one: I saw my first fireflies. Erick laughed at me because I called them lightning bugs, he said there is no such thing, so I had to google it to prove him wrong.


Next: Well Gas is almost a dollar cheaper then California. Here's the funnier part about that....it's because there is CORN in it. What? Corn in my gas? (This is an actual picture Erick took at Costco today)




Lastly: They don't have sprinklers in their lawn...(more on that later); yes that is Erick out there wrangling is "tractor"





There are a few things that I found as a little comfort of home:

Great Harvest Bakery. Silly me I thought this was a Utah company...I found out I WAS WRONG, there are 4 in Nebraska. Erick stopped and picked up some sourdough and honey wheat...OH yum!

Although I haven't been there yet, it's comforting to know it's there....Archivers.

I'm still looking for more things....I'm sure i'll find more as the time goes on.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I am so excited for you guys! So it looks like there are definitely some positives about Nebraska. That's good to hear! :)

Kelli said...

Looks like you are finding things you love. This will feel like home before you know it.